Friday 17 October 2014

Ramblings in Cardiff : October

Heyyyy :) 
It's been a while since I last posted so I thought I'd update my blog. 
Yep, today's a Friday and I'm staying in. It's raining outside, as it has for the whole evening. How do people stand the cold going out and back in their clubbing clothes, I can't imagine. Especially when my hall is like the furthest from the city.

Autumn is here and autumn in Cardiff means lots of wind and rain. Fortunately though, it hasn't been toooooo cold. 

This was taken last weekend fyi
It's usually really cold and drizzly in the morning, and I have to walk a good 25 minutes to school everyday. Rather less than ideal situation, really.

Initially, I'd wear like 3 layers to leave my house, and by the time I get to my building, I'm all hot and sweaty. And I'd have to peel those layers off and stuff them in my bag for the rest of the day indoors.

Not to mention the walk back when it's usually warmer, too. Ugh.

Daily dilemma
So now, I wear 2 layers to school. Sure at first it's super cold, but my friends and I walk really fast so we warm up alright. It's bearable. 



Honestly, the workload is bearable (for now). Most mornings start at 10, and end at 4 or 5pm, but we usually get like 2 hours in between, so that makes 4 to 5 hours a day. And we get half day Wednesdays!

Sure I'm behind on reading up after lectures (procrastination) but I think I'm doing just enough to stay on top of things. I'm loving Anatomy and Tooth Morphology because I've always found learning about the body so interesting, and looking at preserved body parts and bones is just so cool, plus it makes me feel like 'Woah, I'm actually gonna be a dentist one day'. 
On the other hand, I really dislike (loathe is too strong though I'm tempted to use it) Cell Biology and Microbiology, because it's boring and familiar. Familiarity doesn't make it easier, there's much more depth and hence, it's mucho mucho drier.

Overall though, I like my course. I admit before this, even after submitting my application, I was never 100% sure that dentistry was the right fit for me. 
It might be a bit premature, but I feel like this is really for me :)


My Fridays are spent at the University Dental Hospital, away from the main campus. Here, we're gonna learn about professionalism and do clinical observations in our first year. Fridays are supposed to be more relaxed because as first years can't do much in the real clinical setting yet.

I just got my scrubs and name badge today, so....selfies, obviously. 

Difference with The Good Angle. 


My love for Harry Potter will never die. Being in UK means I get to get ALLL the HP merchandise I want! <3<3<3 Boundless opportunities to satisfy my HP love.

So far I've gotten this 'Undesirable No1' poster and a Hogwarts crest tee from Primark.
 I can't wait to go to London to properly geek-out at King's Cross and the Harry Potter studio tour. 
And get myself a house scarf, for sure!


Hogwarts motto translated from Latin 'Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus' 
 Needless to say, this is my favourite tee right now. 

JLoh's replies to my snapchats are always gold
The Main Building


Graffiti near Senghennydd Hall

The Student Union

 Some random shots around my university. I'm no photographer.
But I guess you can already tell :p

There's this guy in my class that kinda looks like Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars, so he's tall and quite cute. Turns out, he's kind of an obnoxious dick. My friend who was totally googly-eyed for him before, now goes 'Eeeee, benci' whenever she sees him. Lagi, cannot accept sitting near him, ahahaha.

There's also this girl who looks like a chubby Taylor Swift, a guy that looks like a blur Ryan Gosling, and another girl who vaguely looks like a celebrity but I have not yet put my finger on which one.



So I joined the Malaysian Society here, and this was the first social we had. We took over this international buffet in the city. 
After about 2 weeks in a course where there is only one other Malaysian with me, I feel so isolated from other Malaysians. A sentiment echoed by the Malaysian dental seniors I met that night, as there are only 2 or 3 each year. 
Most of them are doing Law or Accounting here. There are even 16 Malaysians doing first year Medicine. And then there's just the 2 of us in Dentistry :(

It felt sooooo good to be surrounded by people - albeit,  strangers - from home. 
Hearing and speaking in our Malaysian accent, such an underrated feeling. 

Going that night made me want to be as involved as I can afford to be in the MSoc. I've already signed up for the Festival of Diversity (Malaysian Night) to be in one of the dances. 
 Apparently, Cardiff has won the Best MNight 2 years in a row, too.
I'm SOOOOO excited to be performing for MNight. 
I can't wait for practice to start!

Initially, I wanted to go for badminton tryouts for the Nottingham Games, but I found out about it kinda late and I had no racket with me. 
So...I ended up going 'Aww screw it' and not going. 
I'm thinking of  going to support my uni at the Games in November though, and exploring other parts of the UK.

With Shakira (my coursemate) and Syairah

When my eyes go Full Asian 

With Julie from Cambridge

GBK! They didn't have my SWEET POTATO FRIES >:( 
Btw, download their app and you can get a student discount of 40% for a limited time. 
You're welcome ;)



Tried and loved this at Jamie's Italian

Lazy to rotate...

 Went over to Jessy's house on Wednesday night to cook some kimchi fried rice together! (her housemate did most of the cooking for us though, hehe) 
It was soooo nice to catch up and complain about our coursemates, we ended up talking for hours!
She lives like 10 minutes from my place, so we're definitely doing this more often :)

Photo to spite Sharon hehehheheh 

Speaking of cooking, here's my cheesy pasta bake with mushrooms and broccoli



Last but not least, Sharon surprised me with this in the mail the other day! 
How freaking adorable is this???


I've yet to finish reading it. I'm saving it for a good day with a cup of tea and Welsh cakes on a cool, calm, drizzly day in.

Time to up my dating game, pug-style. 
Watch out, boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment