Saturday 27 September 2014

Midnight Rambling about my First Week


So my first week as a fresher has just ended. Just came back from the student social with my coursemates. The dental society fed us with free pizza, chips, garlic bread, dessert and discounted drinks, while the committee got to know all of us. It's nice, really, that the dental students of all 5 years are like a community since it's not a big course.

Other than that nothing much really, mostly orientation and inductions all week at uni. Pictured above is my fresher pack from the dental society. Which is cool and all, but I can't help but feel cheated because they gave me the head for the electric toothbrush but not the motor part itself. Gahh. But hey, free stuff!

Had an occupational health check and drew some blood for tests to make sure I won't be giving patients any blood-borne diseases. Hmm..what else? Explored and got lost in the city too. Multiple times. And Jessy and Terrance showed me around the campus and the parks. Oh my gosh, I can't wait to take a proper walk in that park, it's massive and picnic-perfect. I'll go take some photos soon.


Yup, it's been really sunny outside still. The clouds are slowly rolling over though. I gotta get that raincoat asap. 



This girl ah really.


Grabbed free Ben&Jerry's with Joyce, a Scotland-born Chinese, and Shakirah also from Malaysia! Both of them are from my course too. Thank God there's another Malaysian in it with me. 
We met after class to get our Asian food fix at Wok to Walk.


I find food here rather bland. Here I had rice and beef stirfried in hot sauce, the spiciest one on the menu, and I still ended up pouring lots of soy sauce and chili in it. My friends were like omg are you crazy, but hey, my tastebuds are Malaysian born, yo.

Chicken katsu with salad, so funny right





Monday starts off formal lectures, starting with oral anatomy. I'm actually pretty excited about learning new stuff. My brain feels pretty rusty and unloved after completing A2 - I can't wait to jumpstart it up again. 

I found out that this year we'll be dissecting actual cadavers. Actual cadavers! 
While I think I'll need to mentally prepare myself for the sight and smells and the whole bizarre experience of handling a dead human body, I'm actually looking forward to it. Excited, even.
What can I say? I've always liked dissections. Before, I was the only one willing to dissect the pig's heart. Yeerdeh, proud.

Everyone was then surprised with an on-the-spot test on scalpel handling techniques.
They were like 3 stations, where each of us had to demonstrate long and short strokes with the scalpel on a halved orange. At first, we all felt kinda stressed lah, first day already got such test, but it wasn't too bad and I'm pretty sure everybody passed.


So today, Joyce and I went for this taster session with the Trampoline Club at the sports centre. 
I'm not looking to join and commit to this club though, I just wanted to jump on the trampoline!
Damn fun wei.



 Obviously I sucked at it la.
I kept stumbling about the first time, but on my second time, I could actually keep jumping on the centre, kay. I even tried to do that one trick where you bounce on your bum then jump up into standing position again. 
On the other hand, there were people who were already certified pros, demonstrating some stunts.
They'd jump soooo high then do like flips and somersaults in the air. It was so cool.

That moment where you're at the peak of your jump though.
You just feel like, for that moment, you're weightless and floating in midair.

Thinking of going for the taster sessions for Salsa and Latin Dance Club on Tuesday as well. Gonna see if I can drag any of my friends with me, hehe.

Then, we walked to Tesco Extra to pick up groceries and more household stuff.
Found this gorgeous knit for 25% off, so I grabbed it.
I really need more sweaters. I thought I packed a lot for this weather but it really wasn't enough!


Ughh, tired from such a long day. I'm so gonna sleep in tomorrow morning. 
Then, we're gonna scout out the asian supermarket and cafes a bit further from our place.

I feel like I've just been rambling quite pointlessly this post. Must be the fatigue setting in.
Gonna crash, good night world.

PS/ Learnt some Welsh words from the locals. I'll post about them once I've learnt more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment