Sunday 21 September 2014

Hello Cardiff!


So I finally left home for Cardiff a few days ago. And I've pretty much settled in. Still tired and achey from the journey over, but getting better.

I made sure to hug my mom last because she'd be the only one who would cry, which would then in turn make me cry as well!



I survived the 13 hour flight over in what I initially thought was the best seat in the plane. Aisle seat, near the toilet, nobody sitting next to me.NOBODY SAT NEXT TO ME!  How much better could I have it, right?

Well, like most things, it turned out too good to be true because I was sitting behind a baby that had lungs of a deepsea diver. He cried on and off the whole journey, and I barely got any sleep.




While I was waiting for the Cardiff Uni coach to come pick me up from the airport, I had an early breakfast with my ex-college mates YiLian and Darinee, who were waiting for their cabs down to London.



These are my luggages. One big one, one hand carry and a laptop bag. My big green bag was 33kg, 1 kg over the limit that MAS set for us. So I had to open it up and stuff 1kg worth of clothes into my backpack. They almost charged me RM170 for even going above 30kg, but thank God the JPA officers were there to help me tell the woman 'Tak payah charge la, dia terbang sendiri dari Sarawak' 



So this is my new room for the year. I had to singlehandedly lug my 32kg bag up 2 flights of stairs. Ohmygod I almost died. I have 3 big bruises on my legs from heaving it up to my floor. 

Don't mind the ugly sheets, I ordered a set from the residence for when I got there so I didn't have to set out to buy them myself. Ugh, I can't wait to buy some pretty sheets to replace them. 

The room is pretty cosy and I love having it to myself. Oh and by the way, it's ensuite too. 

Do NOT underestimate the luxury of having your own bathroom.
The extra cost is so worth it. 

The privacy.
Not having to share the bathroom and to be able to leave all your stuff in there just the way you like it.
Having it smell of your favourite soap.
Being able to shit without worrying about the stink you'll leave behind.
Just having it all to yourself, basically.


That beige building there is my residence.

Basically, I'm living in a student village. There are about 26 other houses just like this in the area. There's a gym and a pub/bar here too. 

In my flat, there are 7 other freshers. 2 girls from China, me and the rest are local to the UK. I've yet to meet and get to know all of them. Probably not this week though because it's Fresher's Week and most of the locals would be out partying at night at all the club events. As I'm typing, there's a big boisterous bunch of them in the dining area having pre-drinks. 

It's a little intimidating, to be honest. Okay, not just a little. 

I really want to go to the fridge to get my yoghurt but...errr...not right now.  

Maybe after they leave for the club. 



To keep myself awake til at least 10pm, I went to explore my new residence.



Yup, those are the basketball and football fields here. I wound up at a gigantic Tesco near my place and bought some household stuff to make my room into a home. Crashed that night at around 10, forced myself to stay awake til then. I ended up waking up at 3 and couldn't sleep til an hour later. Ughh, overcoming that time jump backwards.

The walk from my place to the Student's Union is about 30 minutes long, and the first time I took that walk  (pictured above), I thought it was the longest walk everrrr. But then again, I didn't really know the way so I kept checking the roads and stuff. 

After enrolling and getting my student ID, a few new Malaysian friends and I went into the city to open our new bank accounts and to shop. 

Again, crashed that night.

Woke up the next morning at around 10am, stayed in bed til around 12pm before I decided to explore the city centre. The weather, for the past few days, is perfect here. Sunny but cool, because the summer is kinda long this year. I was told to really enjoy this weather while it lasts because soon, it's gonna rain and the winds will blow like nobody's business. 

It's great walking around in Cardiff. It's not busy and packed and grey (...like London), but relaxed and friendly and chill.
The city centre/shopping area is much like Manchester too. 

Duck socks I got as a gift!


In the Royal Arcade

Major eyebags ft camo jacket that Sharon got me <3



Cardiff Castle


Street vendor pork sandwich with stuffing and apple sauce, yumm
 My first lecture only starts on Thursday so I still have a couple of free days to explore this exciting city. And also, to find more essentials for my room - I've been putting off clothes shopping til I have all my household stuff and raincoat in order. TAHANNNN.

Jessy arrives tomorrow so she'll be showing me around and taking me out to eat!

I was so looking forward to going to The Kooks concert in my Student Union but the tickets are already sold out. T_T 
What are the chances I'll be able to score tickets nearer to the gig? Fingers crossed.

Ending this post with a couple of gratuitous selfies, that I feel too paiseh to post on Instagram hehe



Oh my god they are so noisy outside. I guess they're pretty tipsy already. They're cheering and banging on things and just bumping things around. Beer bottles clinking here and there. Good music is playing from my dining room and from other flats outside as well - The White Stripe's Seven Nation Army, right now.

But y'know, I'd rather this than a dead, quiet hall. The whole place just feels alive. 

Here's to hoping the level of partying and noise dies down, at least a little, after this Fresher's Week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment