Monday 14 July 2014

Being Adventurous Alcoholics

...sort of! 

Hiao cha bo welcomes you to my blog
I was working on my UK trip post, which is proving to be quite a chore. So! Instead of getting sick of it, I decided to blog about something fun that we were up to just last week. 
Yong, Joce and I were having waffles at Dots Cafe, ST3 last Tuesday. The waffles were okay, I guess. A bit too airy for me though, I would've liked it to be more chewy and milky inside. Sigh, I guess it's hard to find a waffle that will live up to the Belgian waffle I had in London with Yong.


Wafflemeister on Pancake Day. Close enough!

I really dreamt about this waffle!!! I dreamt holding it in my hands, chocolate sauce and all, and just eating it like nobody's business. Inner fat kid fantasies, omggggggg.

Been trying out waffles all over Kuching ever since. Bicycle Cafe, Georg Peck, Sweet Flavours...all blehh. Magic Bite still best! 

Anyway, Yong saw a plate of chicken wings walk past and she started feeling hungry! They were from The Library just next door, so she was like 'Let's go eat there and drink something la, on?' 

We went through the menu and she found the Blowjob in the list of shooters. She made Joce order it, and it was the funniest thing ever OMG. Okay for backstory, me and Joce are super sakai when it comes to drinking. Neither of us have ever gone clubbing, much less have we ever gotten drunk, or even tipsy. We've gone out to drink with friends a couple of times, but that's just at pubs/bars, and it's usually just ciders...and we usually share :p Hahaha, are you shaking your head at us? 

I don't know about Joce because we've never made her drink that much, but I turn red soooo easily. Major Asian flush! A bottle of Sommersby apple cider with like 4% can turn me red, less than 1 bottle of Smirnoff Ice turns me red. Malu lah, so lousy. 
All the stuff about turning red easily being a good thing/indication of good blood circulation is total bull though. I Googled it, and turns out it's bad, like cancer-causing bad. So, in people who have Asian flush, they have overactive alcohol dehydrogenase (enzymes that break down alcohol) so the alcoholwe drink gets broken down into this toxic, cancer-causing substance called acetaldehyde really really fast! It is this acetaldehyde that dilates the vessels in our face to dilate, causing blood to be nearer to the surface so we appear red.

And guess what? That's not the end. Turns out 'Asian flushers' also have inactive acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (enzymes that break down the bad acetaldehyde into harmless substances). This means that the faster-than-usual build-up of acetaldehyde will be broken down much slower than usual. Double whammy! 

So if you have the Asian flush, don't drink too much or too often, okay? Or you'll risk getting gastrointestinal problems and even stomach cancer! 

Kinda sucks for me, because I do wanna know what it's like getting drunk.Probably just the one time. I wonder what it's like, and what kind of drunk I'd be. Hmm, well, all in good time, I guess. And also only with people I trust to take care of me. Otherwise, I'm not into the clubbing/drinking/partying thing, I guess. Gone are the Interact Night days where we could just have some good clean fun, dancing around and singing til we lose our voices,huh. That's one of the things I miss most about high school. That footloose.

Okay, okay, so Joce had to make the order. She leaned over the bar with the menu and said 'Uh..one plate of spicy chicken wings..and...one of this' and pointed to the Blowjob. Couldn't bring herself to say it hahaha. The bartender smirked and laughed and brought us this hilarious, phallic looking drink. We just stared at it for like 1 minute and Joce went, 'How do we drink this ah? Should I ask?' HAHAHA omg Joce ah, I love you. Oh, she didn't ask in the end. Wasn't bad, by the way, mostly just Bailey's with a bit of banana flavour.




The next night, Sharon, Joce and I went to the Library again because Lester invited us out with some other people. We're not so 'on' lah, it was spontaneous after we had dinner with Yong and Jessy. And luckily so! Because it was ladies' night, so all the girls got free cocktails (Wednesday, by the way). Joce and I were itching to try another shooter, so we went with the Orgasm. I know right, the names of these shooters are, as Yong puts it, damn sohai. The Orgasm, however, was a let down to the name. It was basically just Bailey's :\ 





 


Ain't gonna lie, I thought The Library was an ahbeng/ahlien watering hole. Found that it's actually pretty chill there! And they played really good 90's songs. Can't say no to this rarity!

The cocktails we had are called Aviation. Asked the waiter what it's made of and he said gin, lemonade and violet liqour, which made it a pretty, clear lavender colour.
Lester had Sex on The Beach. On the menu, the virgin version of this drink is called 'Very Safe Sex on The Beach'. Hahahah what the heck, is that legit? Or is it just this place?


Sex on the Beach




After making Joce down 2 cocktails, and having a second round of drinks, we left to fight another day. 
Til next time! 



No comments:

Post a Comment