Friday 11 July 2014

Reviving my Blog

So...how should I start? 

My name is Dawn Jerah. I turned 20 this year, born and raised in Kuching, Malaysia.




I used to have a blog throughout Form 1 and 2, when the blogging trend had more or less just started. And it was loads of fun sharing my thoughts and documenting all the stupid stuff that happened in school. As you'd expect from all the blogs managed by pubescent kids, my blog had those music players that would just automatically start when the site loaded, then you had to search and search for that tiny pause button (I switched between many Taylor Swift songs). And I remember it having a black background with multi-coloured paragraphs - yes, I mean like having one whole paragraph of text in hot pink, and the next in lime green. Pening betul, oh my lord.


Form 4 charity drive. All this feels like ages ago, and I can only remember so much from that time :\

Sadly though, I shut down that blog when my dad found out about it. It wasn't that he didn't like my content or didn't like me putting myself on the world wide web. Just that, then, I felt super uncomfortable with the fact that my dad (who would then share it with my buta IT mom) would be reading my journal. Okay, I know a blog is already public but if you were ever a 13 year old kid, I'm sure you'd understand.

Now, I really regret shutting it down. Would've been great (and embarrassing in the best way) to look back on old posts to see what I was like at 13. Not to mention all the great memories I shared with friends that I still have and love to this day. 


Sleepovers with the girls

Parties
Playing

More recently, reunions

NEVER AGAIN! This is me, now, not allowing that to happen again. 


I've put off starting this blog for AGES! I was actually really looking forward to blogging again after I finished my A-Levels end of last year. Well...some circumstances put a damper on my post-ALevels mood this year. But that's for another post.


Travelling and doing fun bucket list-worthy stuff (we were still ascending okay)


Going for science competitions
Performing, which we did a lot of throughout high school. Best memories!


So why revive my blog after so long?
Like I said, I want to record me being me, embarking on my 20s. I want to document everything I'm gonna experience from here on out, and be able to look back on those experiences exactly as they were. The good and the bad.
In Psychology, I learned that when we try to remember something, we never remember it exactly as the last time. Our mind reconstructs memories each time we try to recall it, from bits and pieces of information. Heck, sometimes our mind subconsciously (or after sufficiently convincing yourself with practice) leaves out stuff we don't want to remember and emphasizes the stuff we want to remember. And this is exactly one of the main reasons I want to blog. While I'm at it, perhaps I'll write down some stuff I'd like to remember from the past, for years to come. This blog is gonna be my memories in black&white, unedited and not something reconstructed years after.

Also, I used to love writing. It used to be a personal thing to me, a way to express myself and get those creative juices flowing. Well, government examinations killed that. Sure I was heavily involved with writing in high school, but it was never the same. :(

I think myself to be a rather scattered-brain person. Unless I put my thoughts down visually, I find it hard to string together my thoughts, and hence sometimes, hard to express myself in speech. It gets frustrating, so sometimes I don't follow up on my thoughts or even form opinions on things that I feel I should. Since I find I express myself best in the written word, I'm pretty sure blogging is the solution! 

Do I care about who and how many people read my blog? Not particularly....it is for me after all. But I don't mind sharing what I blog about with whoever cares to read about it. I did level up my friendship with some people when I blogged previously after all!


So here goes..I am committing myself to documenting what may well be the best years of my life!







No comments:

Post a Comment